- Consultant Gastroenterologist & Interventional Endoscopist
- Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Monash University
Dr. Leon Fisher is a consultant gastroenterologist with a special interest in interventional endoscopy including ERCP and diseases of the pancreas and biliary tree. Dr. Fisher holds the appointment of Head of Endoscopy at Peninsula Health and provides diagnostic and therapeutic gastroenterology services to the South Eastern and Bayside communities of Melbourne. Having completed two dedicated post-graduate fellowships in Interventional Endoscopy Dr. Fisher has extensive training and performs hundreds of advanced therapeutic endoscopy procedures every year. Dr. Fisher is also actively involved in clinical research, under- and post-graduate training and regularly participates in national and international meetings.
- 1998 Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery, The Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide
- Distinction and high distinction grades in 16 subjects
- Emergency Medicine studentship, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, USA (1998)
- Summer research studentship in the Neurobiology Laboratory, Howard Florey Institute of Experimental Physiology and Medicine, University of Melbourne
- Gastroenterology studentship, North York General Hospital, Toronto, Canada
- 2005 Fellowship of The Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 2006 Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth
- 2007 Therapeutic Endoscopy Fellowship at world-renowned St. Michael’s Hospital Toronto, Canada
- Head of Endoscopy, Frankston Hospital, Peninsula Health
- Holmesglen Private Hospital
- Cabrini Hospital, Malvern
- Peninsula Private Hospital
Previous Professional Experience
- 2007-2008: Therapeutic Endoscopy Fellow, St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
- 2007: Consultant Gastroenterologist, Frankston Hospital, Peninsula Health
- 2007: Consultant Physician, Calvary Health Care, Canberra
- 2006: Advanced Endoscopy Fellow, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth
- 2004-2005: Advanced Trainee in Gastroenterology, The Canberra Hospital, Canberra
- 2003: Advanced Trainee in General Medicine, St.Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne
- 2001-2002: Senior Medical Resident and Registrar at St.Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne
- 1999-2000: Intern and Resident at The Austin & Repatriation Medical Centre, Melbourne
Procedural Experience and Accreditation
Accreditation: Dr. Fisher has full accreditation with Conjoint Committee for Recognition of Training in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy to perform gastroscopy, colonoscopy, ERCP, EUS and capsule endoscopy..
Colonoscopy: Extensive experience with caecal intubation rate of 99%. Dr. Fisher’s adenoma detection rate is 32%. Dr. Fisher is very competent in polypectomy, including removal of large polyps, endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR), stenting and treatment of colonic bleeding.
Gastroscopy: Dr. Fisher has broad experience in treating acute bleeding, dilatation and stenting. Additionally, Dr. Fisher has specialized skills in treatment of Barrett’s dysplasia such as EMR.
ERCP: Dr. Fisher has acquired extensive skills in therapeutic ERCP including advanced techniques such as lithotripsy, ERCP in post-surgical anatomy, choledochoscopy and pancreatic duct interventions. Dr. Fisher performs around 300 ERCPs each year.
EUS: Dr. Fisher is fully trained in radial and linear echoendoscopy, including therapeutic applications such as cystgastrostomies and fine needle aspiration (FNA).
Instructor: NETI (National Endoscopy Training Initiative) colonoscopy course
Other: Dr. Fisher also has experience in balloon enteroscopy and capsule endoscopy.
Registration and Membership
- Medical Practitioners Board of Australia
- Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Gastroenterological Society of Australia
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American Gastroenterological Association
- Fisher A, Srikusalanukul W, Fisher L, Smith PN. Comparison of Prognostic Value of 10 Biochemical Indices at Admission for Prediction Postoperative Myocardial Injury and Hospital Mortality in Patients with Osteoporotic Hip Fracture. J Clin Med 2022; 11(22):6784.
- Khan S , Chandran S, Chin J, Karim S, Mangira D, Nasr M, Ermerak G, Trinh A, Kia C, Mules T, Zad M, Ang T, Johns E, Tee D, Kaul A, Ratanachu-Ek T, Jirathan-Opas J, Fisher L, Cameron R, Welch C, Lim G, Metz A, Moss A, Bassan M, Saxena P, Kaffes A, St John A, Hourigan L, Tagkalidis P, Weilert F, Vaughan R, Devereaux B. Drainage of pancreatic fluid collections using a lumen-apposing metal stent with an electrocautery-enhanced delivery system. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2021; 36(12): 3395-3401.
- Langmaid T, Ellis S, Fisher L, Pilgrim C. Conservative management of adult pancreatic haemangioma: case study and literature review. BMJ Case Rep. 2021; 14(1):e239147.
- Fisher L, Fisher A, Smith PN. Helicobacter pylori related diseases and osteoporotic fractures (narrative review). J Clin Med. 2020; 9(10):3253-3316.
- Fisher A, Fisher L, Srikuslanukul W, Smith PN. Bone turnover status: classification model and clinical implications. Int J Med Sci.2018; 15(4):323-338.
- Fisher A, Fisher L, Srikuslanukul W, Smith PN. Usefulness of simple biomarkers at admission as independent indicators and predictors of in-hospital mortality in older hip fracture patients. Injury2018; 49(4):829-840.
- Fisher L, Fisher A. Acid-suppressive therapy and risk of infections: pros and cons. Clin Drug Investig. 2017; 37(7):587-624.
- Fisher A, Fisher L, Srikuslanukul W, Smith PN. Prognostic significance of serum urea concentration at admission in older patients with hip fracture. The Open Orthopaedics Journal2018; 12(1):536-553.
- Jackman C, Waddell R, Fisher L, Ben-Meir M, Blecher G, Goh GS, Walker K. Konjac flour noodles associated with gastric outlet obstruction. Emerg Med Australas. 2018; 30(2):283-284.
- Fisher L, Fisher A. Acid-suppressive therapy and risk of infections: pros and cons. Clin Drug Investig.2017; 37(7):587-624.
- Fisher A, Srikuslanukul W, Fisher L, Smith PN. Lower serum P1NP/βCTX ratio and hypoalbuminaemia are independently associated with osteoporotic nonvertebral fractures in older adults. Clin Interv Aging2017; 12:1131-1140.
- Khan S, Evans P, Fisher L. Biliary tubulovillous adenoma. J Gastroent Hepatol 2017; 32(8):1423.
- Fisher A, Srikuslanukul W, Fisher L, Smith PN. The neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio on admission and short-term outcomes in orthogeriatric patients. Int J Med Sci. 2016; 13(8):588-602.
- Fisher L, Fisher A. Relationship between serum gamma-glutamyltransferase (GGT) activity and indices of iron metabolism with bone-mineral parameters in orthogeriatric patients. J of Biomed Sciences. 2016; 5(4):26-37.
- Khan S, Ramzy J, Papachristos D, Geogre N, Fisher L. Ventricular standstill following intravenous erythromycin and borderline hypokalaemia. Eur J Case Rep Intern Med.2016; 3(3):375.
- Fisher L, Srikuslanukul W, Fisher A, Smith PN. Liver function parameters in hip fracture patients: relations to age, adipokines, comorbidities and outcomes. Int J Med Sci. 2015; 12(2):100-115.
- Khan S, Fisher L. A rare case of polysplenia syndrome presenting with biliary obstruction in adulthood. J Gastroent Hepatol 2015; 31(6):1071.
- Fisher L, Fisher A. Associations between liver function, bone turnover biomarkers and adipokines in older patients with hip fracture. J Endocrin Metabol2014; 4(5-6):121-135.
- Kong LM, Fok KC, Tsui A, Qian C, Fisher L. Peripheral T-cell lymphoma mimicking 5-aminosalicylate hypersensitivity in ulcerative colitis. Intern Med J. 2013; 43(10):1137-40.
- Fisher M, Fisher L, Waxman B, Fisher A. Changing trends in colorectal cancer: possible cause and clinical implications Health2010; 2(8):842-848.
- Fisher L, Ormonde D, Riley R, Laurence B. Endoscopic Skills Training in a Simulated Clinical Setting. Simulation in Healthcare2010; 5(4):232-237.
- Fisher L, Byrnes E, Fisher A. Prevalence of vitamin K and vitamin D deficiency in patients with hepatobiliary and pancreatic disorders Nutrition Research2009; 29(9):676-83.
- Fisher L, Segarajasingam D, Stewart C, Deboer W, Yusoff I. Endoscopic ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration of solid pancreatic lesions: performance and outcomes J Gastroent Hepat2008; 24 (1):90-96.
- Fisher L, Fisher A, Thomson A. Cardiopulmonary complications of ERCP in older patients GI Endoscopy2006; 63(7):948-955.
- Fisher L, Fisher A. Vitamin D and parathyroid hormone in outpatients with non-cholestatic chronic liver disease Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology2007; 5(4):513-520.
- Fisher L, Fisher A, Pavli P, Davis M. Perioperative acute upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage in older patients with hip fracture: incidence, risk factors and prevention Alim Pharm Ther2007; 25(3):297-308.
Dr. Fisher is actively involved in clinical research, under- and post-graduate training and regularly participates in national and international meetings. His biography is published in Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare.
Holmesglen Private Hospital
Building 2, Suite D3
490 South Road
Moorabbin VIC 3189